Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Might Be A Little Addicted

     I am a broke college student living at home with my parents, sister, four cats, and two dogs. But, as my credit card statement and slowly dwindling savings accounts (yes, plural) will attest, I like shopping.

     No. Correction: I love shopping. I'm one of those weird people who sees empty hangers in the closet and thinks that means I have to go out and get things to put on them. I ask you, what's so wrong in that? I'm boosting our economy, I'm adding color to my life, and giving my mother an excuse to say, "Liz don't buy that. Why can't you wear that purple Rue 21 shirt that you haven't worn yet? Maybe pair it with those Dollhouse shoes you got at Marshall's and haven't worn because they're five inch heels?" Yes, I do have a pair of shoes fitting that description...

Dollhouse heels found at Marshall's for $19.99. Love the pattern!
     My mother is sometimes my stylist. When I was little, she was always making clothes for me and helping me put together outfits. I still defer to her about 20% of the time when shopping or composing outfits. Unless I'm out shopping with my best friend or my boyfriend's sister-in-law, the other 80% of the time I defer to my sister who immerses herself in her books, crafts, and her own fantastic take on glam down the hall from me.

     Let's get one thing clear right now: I don't like trends. I think they take away from a person's own brand of glam, style, what have you. I like hearing the phrase, "That's so you" so much more than "That's so in". Have you ever noticed how the latest trends usually cater to the insanely tall and skinny? What about the short and skinny, short and plump, tall and plump...whatever combination you can think of. I mean what average girl can wear those long, flowy maxi skirts with the t-shirt? Or the big floral prints with the chunky boho sandals? Maybe those trends are cool, but not everyone was made for them. I will laud the day fashion magazines say, "Hey, here's a way to find the styles that work best for your body, and here are the places you can find them at affordable prices." Until then, Liz is here.

    Again, I am not made of money. Don't be fooled by my massive truck (Chevy Silverado 2500), how well my dog is cared for (my Hamilton a.k.a. "Ham-Face", "Hamelot", "Ham", "Ham-Dog", "Hammy Shammy", "Boo Boo Bear"...pictures coming soon), or the clothes I wear. I think the most expensive piece of clothing I own is worth $70, I paid $50 for it because hey guess what? It was on clearance! A Lauren Conrad for Kohl's blazer...

Lauren Conrad for Kohl's. Orig. $70, I got it for $50!
    Kohl's always has items on sale. Most of the time, there are multiple racks ranging from 30- even 70% off! And to top it all off, for every $50 you spend, you receive $10 Kohl's Cash. It's like a gift certificate and, of course, it's only good for a certain amount of time. A brilliant method to keep people coming back. A $25 top for only $15? Yes please! Some other places I shop are:


  • TJ Maxx/Marshall's: same company. I'm addicted to the cheap prices for major designers (i.e. my Dollhouse shoes)
  • Target: MAJOR addiction. The clothes are excellent quality, reasonable prices, and quite often look like the designer's clothes 
  • Goodwill: don't freak out! Super cheap, the clothes are already broken in, and I found Burberry and Gucci bags there, probably knock-offs, but who needs to know? Also, really examine the clothes before you buy them. I almost bought a skirt but then the Mama pointed out a tear in the seam as well as some kind of stain
  • Rue 21: low prices, the quality is okay, don't buy the undies though. I think they run super duper small and they aren't the greatest material. The bras are cute and work well, I have four that I bought there
  • H&M: reasonable prices, cute, good quality clothes they can be dressed up or down, plenty of basic tops!
     In closing, here's my advice: buy lots of "basics" like tank tops, scoop neck tees, v-necks, or whatever your preference is and buy them in lots of colors that work for you and that you like. The basics can be dressed up or down, they can go with just about anything and they are usually the most comfortable clothes you'll own. 

     Some other things everyone says you can't live without, and I know I can't: at least a black blazer, good dress pants, black pumps, a sturdy and flattering pair of jeans (skinny jean, flare, etc. doesn't matter as long as you're comfortable in them), a Little Black Dress, and a black skirt. I'm still looking for the LBD. Bottom line, if you can dress it up and down, it's worth the investment.

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment